The Cambridge IGCSE course offered by AIC encourages students to develop their critical and creative thinking skills, in accordance with our Mission Statement. The Cambridge IGCSE examinations allow students to demonstrate their learning via a variety of approaches, including written and oral coursework and practical assessment.
At AIC students are able to undertake their IGCSE in seven subjects. We offer a core group of courses from which students must do a subject from each. Within this core there is a range of subjects that can be selected. As a result, students do a total of seven IGCSE subjects (up to 9 credits in total), which they take at the end of Grade 10.
AIC offers the following subjects:
- Group 1 (Mother Tongue): Chinese - First Language, English – First Language
- Group 1 a (Language Acquisition): English as a Second Language, Spanish – Foreign Language, Chinese as a Second Language, Chinese (Mandarin) – Foreign Language
- Group 2 (Humanities & Social Sciences): Economics, Global Perspectives
- Group 3 (Sciences): Combined Science, Coordinated Science (Biology, Chemistry, Physics, Environmental Management)
- Group 4 (Mathematics): Mathematics, Mathematics – Additional
- Group 5 Creative and Professional (choose one): Drama, Music, Computer Science, Business Studies &Visual Arts
- Group 5 Creative and Professional (mandatory): Physical Education
Students must select at least one subject from each group. Students select one more subject from any of group 2, 3, 4 or 5.
AIC offers both the Core and Extended Curriculum.
The Core curriculum is within the ability range of a large majority of students. It provides a full overview of the subject and is targeted at students expected to achieve grades C to G.
The Extended curriculum has been designed for the more academically able. It is targeted at those expected to achieve grades A* to E.
AIC offers students a strong Cambridge IGCSE program, which helps them prepare for the transition to the IB Diploma Program as well as the accredited AIC High School Diploma Program.
The IGCSE Examination is taken as a qualification towards International Certificate of Education (ICE). The ICE is awarded to the candidate who clears at least seven IGCSE subjects.